These days, replacing automobile keys is not as easy as before, because automobile keys now have transponders that remotely communicates with the car for safe and easy driving. The automobile key and transponder are attached as one. So, when you lose your key, both are lost.
An automobile transponder key is always programmed to a particular car and might not work on another vehicle. The idea of an automobile transponder key is great until you find yourself locked out of your car with little or no knowledge of what to do.
These are some quick tips on how you can replace your automobile transponder key:
1. Find a Locksmith in your Area The best and most reliable way to find a locksmith is always through referral. This way, you get to know the quality of service, their price range, and the speed. You can also find an automobile transponder key locksmith through online listings, professional locksmith organization in the area or even in the yellow pages.
2. Always ask for a warranty Automobile transponder key replacements, most times, come with a 90-day warranty. Always ask the locksmith about the warranty, because it can be damaged during transportation. So, it is good to know where you stand when that happens, especially for those keys you purchased online.
3. Confirm that it is the right automobile transponder key for my vehicle. If you still have a transponder, compare the part number on the back and the functions on the front to find out if it the right one for your vehicle.
In a case where you lose your transponder key, your car dealership through your VIN gives you a part number. Subsequently, you can use the provided part number to be sure you have the right one for your car.
4. Your license and registration are required for key replacements. You need your license and registration before your automobiles transponder key can be replaced because it is used to verify ownership of the vehicle. They do it to protect clients. Even when you are buying online, you need to provide these documents with the correct names and the address on the document must correlate with the one provided for shipping.
5. Price for replacement. The price of replacing automobiles transponder key differs depending on the area of residence, brand, and model of the vehicle in question. Although going to your car dealer is the best option, the prices are always on the high side when sold by the dealer. However, if you choose to get an unprogrammed transponder key and reprogram it by yourself, it is advisable to get it from a tech support certain company. So, they can provide you with the required assistance in case you get confused. Also, most online key replacement companies buy in bulk so they can offer lower prices than the car dealers.